We have two Health Care Assistants trained up within the surgery, especially to give advice on smoking cessation.
It has been shown that with the right support combined with treatment such as nicotine gum and patches, people are more likely to be succesful in giving up. The Health Care Assistant will help you through the stages of stopping, such as:
- Thinking about stopping
- Preparing to stop (proper planning make you much more likely to suceed),
- Setting a quit date and sticking to it.
- Staying stopped ( changing your attitude to smoking and your life style).
- Dealing with relapses (You haven't failed - so don't feel guilty, you have learn't valuable lessons that can help you next time.)
The Health Benefits of giving up:
- Blood pressure & pulse return to normal, along with circulation to hands and feet. Within 20minutes of stopping.
- Blood oxygen levels increase to normal, and your chances of having a heart attack start to fall. Within 8 hours of stopping.
- Carbon monoxide leaves the body, allowing the lungs to clear out mucus and debris. Within 24 hours of stopping.
- Your body is now nicotine free, your sense of tast and smell begin to improve. Within 48 hours of stopping.
- Breathing is easier, and your energy levels increase. Within 72 hours of stopping.
- Circulation improves throughout the body, making exercise easier.Within 2-12 weeks of stopping.
- Breathing problems improve and lung efficiency is increased by 5-10%. Within 3-9 months of stopping.
- Risk of a heart attack fall to about half that of a smoker. After 5 years after stopping.
- Risk of lung cancer falls to around half that of a smoker and the risk of a heart attack falls to the same as someone that has never smoked.
So make an appointment with one of our Health Care Assistants now and don't put off giving up!
External Quit Smoking Sites:
No Smoking Day may have gone but whenever your quit day is, browse the links on this page for motivation, information and expert advice.
Gosmokefree - This website contains detailed information about the free NHS support services.
Smoking Cessation - NHS Choices Site – if you smoke, giving up is probably the greatest single step you can take to improve your health.
Quit Org. - Quit is the independent charity whose aim is to save lives by helping smokers to stop.
Smoking Quitters Cost Tool - Calculate the money you will save with NHS Direct quitters cost calculator and plan how to spend it.
ASH - Action on Smoking and Health (ASH) is a campaigning public health charity that works to eliminate the harm caused by tobacco.